Spring has arrived, which means it’s time for some spring cleaning! While you’re in the midst of decluttering and deep cleaning your home, take some time to focus on maintenance as well – regular maintenance tasks will prolong the life of your home and appliances and can save you money in the long run.
Here are 10 quick and easy home maintenance tips that you can do this spring:
- Inspect your gutters and downspouts. Clean out any debris that has accumulated over the winter months.
- Check the caulking around your windows and doors. If there are any cracks or gaps, reapply caulking to prevent drafts and water damage.
- Clean out your dryer vent. A clogged vent can cause your dryer to overheat and be a fire hazard.
- Change the air filter in your furnace or air conditioner. A new filter will help improve indoor air quality and make your HVAC system run more efficiently.
- Test your smoke alarms and carbon monoxide detectors to ensure they are working properly.
- Inspect your roof for any loose or missing shingles. Repair any damage to prevent leaks.
- Lubricate door hinges to prevent creaking and sticking doors – you can pick up quality hinge lubrication at most hardware stores.
- Close up any cracks or gaps in exterior walls with weatherproofing caulk or spray foam insulation.
- Update your home security system, if you have one, to ensure it is working properly.
- Schedule annual maintenance appointments for your HVAC system, plumbing, and major appliances such as your refrigerator, oven, and dishwasher.
Don’t delay – get started today!
Regularly maintaining your home may seem like a hassle, but it’s important in order to keep everything running smoothly – and prevent big problems (and expenses) down the road. By setting aside some time each season to focus on home maintenance tasks, you can rest assured knowing that your home is in good shape all year round!